Friday, October 3, 2008

Random Pictures

Today is "Sky Opening Day" in Korea, which celebrates the founding of the Korean World and something about a bear eating mugwart and mating with a God. When I asked my 5th grade students what it was, they got right to the point: "red day!" The date is colored red on calendars to indicate that official business, including schools, are closed.

So Melanie and I and some friends are off to Seoul for the long weekend for guitars and Indian food and enough chickpeas and tahini to last through the winter. So I won't be posting a few days and thought I'd leave you with a few pictures. In no particular order, nor with any sense of cohesion...


A home just across the river from the very rural school I teach at on Tuesdays. Looks like an orange tree, doesn't it? But...


A close-up of the fruit on the tree in the previous picture. To the first person that can identify this mystery fruit, I'll send you a prize package of kimchi chocolate.


Say what you will about Korea, they get sustainability here. Selective logging -- keep the forests, reduce the fire danger, create jobs for loggers and get the timber. Down side? Lower profits for logging companies. Another upside? There will still be forests in 50 years, so there might still be logging companies in 50 years.


Korean kids at play at one of our school's several playgrounds.


Spectacular cairns marking a trailhead.


This hive was at least as big as a basketball, and the wasp-like creatures as big as my thumbs. Thankfully not too aggressive though.


And the thing that keeps me sane here -- a lovely girlfriend that makes amazing Mexican food.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice photos! I love the one of Melanie! Is the fruit a persimmon?

If so, ask your Dad about the conversation he had with the lady from the permaculture place in Durango. And, I DO NOT WANT any chocolate covered kim chi. I do not want any kim chi. I do not want any Korean food. Sam I am.

Unknown said...

I think I meant to write, I do not want green eggs and ham.

Anjole said...

looks like persimmon to me too, and I would love some kimchi chocolate (for real???)

Michael Levy said...

Alright, kimchi chocolate it is. I gotta say though, I got some "Jeju orange chocolate" Monday from a student, and it was awfully good. You sure you wouldn't rather have that? Or some ginsing candies???

Unknown said...

I do believe I won this contest - so yes, some Jeju orange chocolate would be wonderful. :-) Except for the 'Jeju' part, it doesn't sound like Korean food.

Unknown said...

But, heaven forbid - no matter what...NO GINSENG CANDY!!!