Monday, October 20, 2008

What Should Be & What Is

"The preoccupation with what should be is estimable only when the respect for what is has been exhausted."

Suppose we substitute "concern" or some other more benign word for "preoccupation," what do you think of the idea?

I read it this afternoon and it has since proven to be a tough thought to shake. I'll explain the context in which it came up and some of my thoughts on it soon. But I'm interested to hear what anyone who is reading this might think about it...

3 comments:

Anjole said...

we have to understand the real to get to the ideal?

Unknown said...

Just trying to understand what you are writing...

In other words: concern about what "should be" is admirable only when we've tried our hardest to make what already exists - work (or confirmed that what others have done doesn't work).

Yes, in general, I would agree.

Unknown said...

So, yeah, what anjole said...